Saturday, January 30, 2010

Grieving

It is very important to grieve, whatever it may out. For some it might be singing, dancing, writing, angry, or for some it might be holding on. Having the opportunity to create this blog with my friend Fabi has not only given me a chance to reach out to the Haitian people, but also those who are non Haitian but has strong ties to Haiti. You never know when you’re going to feel or sense something. It’s not anything that can be explained, or something you know when you’re going to feel. You just feel it. You sense it.
When the earthquake happened my immediate reaction was to get on a plane and head out to help. But I was drawn with emotions, I had a feeling of hopelessness and disoriented. I felt like a mother whose child was in danger and there’s nothing I could do. I had to compose myself and try to make sense of the reality of what was going. Shortly after Fabi was contacted by a friend who works with American Red Cross, we were offered an opportunity to participate with the relief group. That made me feel empowered that I was going to be part of the relief team, but that dream was short lived. Do to ARC’s politics and bureaucracy our dreams was shut. I laid in bed for three days wallowing in my sorrow. In the midst of that came Faces of Haiti.

Francelene

No comments:

Post a Comment