Friday, January 29, 2010

Home sick

It has been two weeks since the haiti earthquake. I have a lot of images going throug my mind. I wonder about the people who are still there living on the street, the children who are now motherless. I as an adult have challenges copping with the disaster. What I find most helpful at this moment is sharing special times with friends and family, reminising about the good old Haiti. I can only imagine what the children are going through mentally.
When I was six years old after having been in the US for only a year, I used to be home sick. What made me feel better was playing some old childood games from Haiti such as "Wosel" or "Pinch". "Wosel" is played with cow or beef bones that's cut into small pieces and the purpose of the game is to get the bones to stand straight; similar to jacks in the US. And "Pinch" is played with many small pieces of rock. You take a hand full of rocks, throw them in the air and try to land as many pieces on the back of your hand. None of these games make sense, but it's fun. For the families who have children that are feeling home sick at the moment, get them some small rocks or cow or beef bones.
Francelene

No comments:

Post a Comment